Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Awful Truth

EDITORIAL
By Frodo McPickles

If those were white babies starving to death on the streets of New Orleans, they would have been evacuated a long time ago. There would have been a military operation in New Orleans not seen since D-Day. I have seen through TV and newspaper reports that plenty of Doctors and public safety professionals have risked their lives staying in the City to help displaced persons. Sheer acts of humanity and courage which rival the brave acts of U.S. soldiers in combat on foreign lands. And, I know that that natural geography of the City makes rescue operations logistically difficult. However, I think, once again, Hurricane Katrina will be seen as an instance where White America let Black America down. It could be argued that the situation plaguing New Orleans is about class, not about race. Don't be naive.

I was fortunate enough to have watched football games in the Superdome with my family. Auburn v. Florida St. in the Sugar Bowl. My law school graduation was in the Morial Convention Center. I wined and dined with the best of them in the Vieux Carre. Meals at Mother's on Poydras with friends and family. Walks on St. Charles beneath the canopy of oaks, and the Endymion Parade on Esplanade. All that remains now are the happy memories...but at least I have them. For tens of thousands of others, these places will forever be associated with strife and betrayal.

Lastly, if you haven't opened your check books yet, what the hell are you waiting on?

p.s. If your opinion differs, voice it...I am able to admit when I am wrong.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. And you can thank your lovely REPUBLICAN administration for this.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, sure. GW is awful. No argument. But it's not as though Democrats are rushing to New Orleans and being held back by Cheney and Rumsfeld. I also wonder if this slow exodus will mark a demographic shift for New Orleans once everything has been rebuilt. I doubt anyone will keep track of all of these people in order to pick them up from Houston and return them to New Orleans.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also of note . . .
as the terry schiavo story broke, congress responded within twenty-four hours as they reconvened for an emergency session.
it took more than three days to reach a quorum and begin work on a recovery and relief package for the thousands of impoverished, and not coincidentatly, black, citizens of new orleans.
apparently, congress and the administration deem the life of a solitary young white woman more than the countless black individuals who are literally dying on the streets. i am disgusted by the obvious social and racial prejeduce projected by our federal government.

ps. has anyone been able to confirm tom delay's purpoted quote to a suburban news outlet advising the citizens of new orleans to battle it out on their own and then bulldoze the city? (republicans loved "the lord of the flies")

4:20 PM  
Blogger DMS said...

Tom Delay didn't say anything of the sort, you liberal conspiracy theorist.....

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home