Yesterday, a Saturday, was beautiful in Berlin, except that I stayed home sick and medicated and read Goodbye to Berlin, which was exceptional. Also, I watched the one movie in landlord's DVD collection that is any good - Lost in Translation - for the 14th time since being in Berlin. It's really the best movie.
Anyway, around 6:00 I started feeling better and decided, this being the final Saturday night in Berlin - to rally the troops together for a nice dinner. So, I got Jamilya the Uzbeki, Will the Aussie, Ricky the Romanian, and James from L.A. together at a placed called Der Hahn is Tot (The Rooster is Dead), which was phenomenal. I had coq au vin and a side of potatoes (this being Germany - again - all they have is potatoes). We ended dinner with raspberry schnapps.
A note about schnapps. I remember my Bubbie drinking schnapps, so I assumed it was basically an extra fruity/low alcohol liqueur of some sorts. It is not. It is fire water. Pure gasoline. Bottom line, we all left dinner pretty inebriated, which carried us on.
After three more bars, we met up with Ricky's friends from Scotland and then decided to go to a Berlin dance club. Along the way we met a flight attendant named Djogo from Istanbul. Djogo is very into the club scene in Europe, so she led us to The Soda Club, which turned out to be just a bigger version of The Park in Sacramento. I will say that MJQ is still the best.
At 4:30am, we were all going very strong. Then they switched the music to....Summer of 69 by Brian Adams. Of course, I was the only one in the place who cheered.
At 4:40am I decided I better get home before I made myself even sicker. So I bade the troops farewell, got my 62nd doner kabob, and found my way back to my apartment where I am now drinking a double cappucino and eating lemon cake. And for the record, lemon cake is das beste.
-D
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home